Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Quandary

Photo by Kimson Doan
image courtesy of unsplash.com

What about the drawing and the comics and what not?

Those take more time.  I’m not sure that there’s an easy way to churn out one of those as quickly as I’m able to churn out six hundred words.

The biggest problem with those wasn’t the workload, it was getting the ideas together -- I can write about anything, but for drawing or making a comic, there has to be something there to make for me to get interested enough to see it through.

If I say that I’ll do it once a week, then sooner or later I’ll get sick of doing it once a week and make excuses.

I’m not trying to find a way around making willpower happen, I’m trying to find a way to not to have to use willpower in the first place, and I’m beginning to think that that problem is an unsolvable one.

Maybe I should only plan on publishing something, even if it’s just a sentence, even if it’s just a few words, every day -- pretty lame way to go about filling in a proper blog, but burn out is real, too.

The reason why the six hundred word limit is exciting is that it cuts back to the first goal of the blog in the first place, and maybe helps to put it somewhat into perspective.

There are three sort of blanketing statements of personal ideology that  have recurred to me a lot since I became a grown-up -- it’s not important to list each and every one of the three examples that come to mind and where they come from and why -- if I want to I can do that in a later article, and hopefully do it with a definite purpose in mind.

The summary of the ideology is, act the way you want to feel, and keep acting that way, and sooner or later you might come to feel that way without any more complicated effort than that.

What does that mean, more complicated -- I mean that, when all else fails, forcing yourself to try and achieve what you want to achieve, or to at least appearing to do so, 

Some things you need a teacher for; I’m not going to start tap dancing like Gregory Hines just because I’m pretending like I can … although now I’m a little tempted to prove that claim wrong, but more tempted to not potentially go to the hospital from having slipped and fallen down.

If I tried to learn to tap dance without a teacher, I might get good some day by sheer trial and error, and probably luck, but along the way I would (maybe?) wind up duplicating a lot of the work other people have already figured out over the course of the history of tap dance in the first place.

But how can I learn to write like me without simply writing like I do as much as I can? Sure there are thousands of “how to write” books, and they’re each better or worse than the others and better or worse for me, I’ve read (or browsed) dozens and found similar points in most.

I (more or less) think I’ve found a voice, what I’m trying to do is keep that voice in practice and try to make it clearer.

But don’t I need stuff to write about -- aren’t we going in circles here?

Which leads to the other great problem keeping I think my blog from being a more stimulating and enjoyable experience: research.













No comments:

Post a Comment