Monday, March 21, 2016

Errant

Photo by Darren Bockman
image courtesy of unsplash.com
Too lazy as it turns out, to do even that much research before having to write more to move forward. 

I think we may be nearing the end of the amount of words I can churn out about Research without first doing any, and in contemplating this I'm puzzled by another aspect of keeping a blog alive.

What is the purpose?

We've already established that the purpose of the blog is for me to continue to develop my writing voice, and that doing so six hundred words or so at a time, at some undetermined point in the future when I'm writing every day again, is the best way to do that without either burning out or getting bored.

We've also established that one can't simply write about nothing if they're as undisciplined and on the kind of budget I'm on (time-wise?); sooner or later the speculation and rambling wears out.

So I can do research on things and then write about them -- but doesn't there have to be some larger goal than this, some bigger story I have to tell?

There are projects I've been working on for more than ten years that may never see the light of day if I don't get working on them in earnest and soon.

I understand my own impulse to keep that stuff close to the chest, and not wanting to publish anything before it's ready -- but is there any way to try and frame some of these smaller tasks around a bigger payoff later on?







No comments:

Post a Comment