Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Incite

Photo by Josh Byers
image courtesy of unsplash.com
I like the do a little bit every day plan, I think it’s got potential.

One thing that perpetually gets me into trouble is trying to think of all the potential liabilities in a plan basically from its inception; maybe this is a way of hashing out its logical shape, or maybe it’s just mis-guised pessimism, but it’s the next thing that comes to mind, so let’s write it.

The first problem with the plan is that doing “a little bit every day” is vague, and I’m not sure how to make it more specific without stumbling into a rigid set of rules that eventually will rub me the wrong way and I’ll let the whole thing drop again.

A single sentence, or a few words, or a “deep thoughts” type entry perhaps?  Originally each nonfiction entry was supposed to be about six hundred words -- regrettably I soon learned that I’m not a strong enough writer to say what I need to say that quickly.

Wait a minute.

A strong enough writer -- a stronger writer would be able to make their point in as few words as possible?  I’m not sure that’s one hundred percent true, but The Elements of Style has in the past at least made me feel like if I could say less I would probably feel like I was saying more.


But the idea that limiting myself to six hundred words an entry, or fewer, in order to get myself to make my points clearly, or at least more quickly, is an appealing one, and not just because it means I don’t have to work as much to keep going.






No comments:

Post a Comment